Here, at Wood Ley Community Primary School, as will all our pupils, we ensure that the needs of our more able and talented children are met by:
- Having high expectations of all children.
- Providing a stimulating and challenging learning experience through carefully differentiated planning and resources.
- Using a range of teaching approaches and maximising the wonderful resources available in school, including our wonderful school grounds.
- Ensuring that the children are motivated and take responsibility for their learning, asking questions, solving problems and thinking for themselves.
- Closely monitoring progress so that each child achieves.
- Offering a wide-range of enrichment and extra-curricular opportunities so that all children get the chance to experience and explore their talents.
- Finding out more about the children’s talents and interests outside school and promoting them further.
- Encouraging and teaching our core values ‘Inspire, Encourage, Believe’.
- We are constantly reviewing our approach to ensure we challenge all of our children and our motto, ‘Inspire, Encourage, Believe’ is at the heart of everything we do as a school.
- Our aim is to ensure Wood Ley Community Primary School pupils are independent, responsible, and confident about themselves as learners as they move on to secondary school and beyond.
Here is a list of useful websites and resources you can access from home to support your more able learners.
https://p4c.com/ Philosophy for Children
https://www.thephilosophyman.com/ has some good ideas for discussion.
https://www.sciencekids.co.nz/ Fun science and technology for children
https://www.discoverymindblown.com/ A website where you can explore the universe and fly around space, roam the desert with animals, run away from dinosaurs, and so much more!
https://www.nasa.gov/kidsclub/index.html A space themed website where you can explore the planets and all life forms!
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/education/student-experiences/explorer-classroom/ A live YouTube show that connects young people with Explorers around the world — to hear behind-the-scenes stories and interact in real time.
https://ed.ted.com/earth-school?fbclid=IwAR3uGsDH6XEhL_bnrSLt2AxAdTsqj9FEaKt__nwURuH4FYEXjTT6E85Y5Jk 30 Quests for students around the world to celebrate, explore and connect with nature.
https://app.senecalearning.com/courses?Age+Group=Primary&Subject=Science An online science resource with tutorials and quizzes children can enjoy independently.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zkqmhyc KS1 History
https://www.mylearning.org/explore/stories Online interactive historical exploration activities